Grand Knight’s message — January 2016
Brother Knights, Ladies, and families,
Happy New Year! I hope you and your families have had a wonderful Christmas break.
On the first day of January, we celebrate the Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God. It seems so fitting to thank our spiritual Mother in conjunction with the Christmas season and celebration of the Nativity, for it was by her saying yes to God that we receive the gift of our Lord Jesus. We observe that Holy Mary, who speaks only a handful of times throughout the Gospel, ponders upon the mysteries she witnessed and treasures them in her heart. Let us ask our Holy Mother to open her heart to us and share with us those treasures stored within, so that we may be better prepared to encounter Jesus in our lives.
Time flies, does it not? (Tempus fugit…) I feel like I have just gotten used to it being 2015 (i.e., finally stopped writing “2014” — oops!) when it is time to put up the new 2016 calendar.
The beginning of January marks the start of the new calendar year and the half-way point of the Knights of Columbus fraternal year. We have had, I think, a good first half of the Columbian year. Among some of the events that happened:
- The Seniors’ Christmas Dinner and Dance was run for the first time in four years, and represents a new collaboration with the St. Thomas More Catholic Women’s League.
- Charities Appeal ticket sales are going strong with more than one-third of our Council’s ticket allocation sold already.
- The Memorial to the Unborn plaque was installed and blessed.
- Knights and Ladies of our Council participated in two Habitat for Humanity “Build Days”.
- Three pancake breakfasts.
- Three K of C Masses.
- Fall membership drive and many new members.
I want to thank all the Knights and Ladies who have helped to shape and to run these excellent service programs — they help our church, our community, families, and youth.
We’ve got a lot more things to accomplish in this second half of the fraternal year. Highlights of our plans include:
- Our Council will be hosting a Second Degree Exemplification on Wednesday, January 27. All First Degree Knights, including those of you who just joined this year, are encouraged to advance toward your full Knighthood.
- The Family Pasta Dinner and Dance on Saturday, February 6 — A big event needing lots of volunteers. Do you think you could spare a few hours to pitch in?
- Social evening for Knights and Ladies on Wednesday, March 16
- Spring membership drive — Weekend of March 12/13
- Installation of Officers and year-end BBQ on Saturday, June 18
- Ongoing work on Charities Appeal, pancake breakfasts, K of C Mass, grocery cards, …
I hope you will join with me in making the second half of this Columbian year as successful as the first half. May God bless you and your families with all graces needed throughout this new year!
Bro. Jeremy Sit