Grand Knight’s message — May 2016
Brother Knights, Ladies, and families,
I went to Mass this morning (May 5) and the Gospel reading (John 16:16–20) talks about Jesus telling the disciples that He would soon be leaving them, referring to His Ascension. (This year in Canada, Ascension is celebrated on Sunday, May 8.) It’s clear that the disciples did not know exactly what this meant, nor could they at the time fully understand what Jesus meant when He instructed them to wait, because soon He would send the Holy Spirit to them (i.e., Pentecost). In today’s times, we benefit from the historical record of the first disciples’ testimony passed down to us; thus, this time leading up to Pentecost is for us a period of anticipation for the coming of the Holy Spirit.
We sure need the help of the Holy Spirit given what has transpired in our province with the out-of-control wildfires destroying large parts of Fort McMurray and threatening many other areas. Our neighbours are displaced from their homes, filled with uncertainty and dread about what will happen to their homes and livelihoods. It is heartening to see the Holy Spirit at work, through the outpouring of generosity from ordinary people around this province, country, and even other parts of the world. Please join me in prayer for those in need, and for ourselves so that God may direct our hearts to respond to the needs of our neighbours. Here are just some of the ways we can help:
- Individual monetary donations to the Canadian Red Cross are being matched by both the provincial and federal government.
- Shelters that are being set up to house the evacuees may need volunteer help.
- Evacuees in many cases are left with nothing but the clothes on their back so they will need the basics — toiletries, clothing.
The news media is doing an excellent job at disseminating information about what is needed and where. Tune in and find out. At this month’s meeting, our Council will also discuss what we can do as a Council, donations or otherwise.
In other news, the end of the Columbian Year is approaching soon. At this month’s meeting, we’ll be having our elections for Officers for 2016–2017. This month also brings our last pancake breakfast of the season, and several other events.
On Saturday, June 18, we’ll be having our Installation of Officers ceremony and the year-end BBQ. (Mouth-watering, delicious steak!) Please save the date in your calendar! I hope to see all of you there. It’s not a “round-number” Council anniversary year, but we can still pack the parish hall full to celebrate anyway, right? :-) By the way, we are also looking for help with running the event including set-up, food preparation, and clean-up after the event. If you can help, that would be great.
A few highlights of upcoming events:
- Elections for 2016–2017 Council Officers — May 10.
- Alberta March for Life — Thursday, May 12 (please see flyer in newsletter)
- Knights of Columbus Mass — Saturday, May 14 at 5:00 PM
- Parish volunteer appreciation evening — Tuesday, May 31 at 7:00 PM
- Installation of Officers and year-end BBQ — Saturday, June 18, following 5:00 PM Mass
Bro. Leo Sosa and I are attending the State Convention in Calgary this weekend as the delegates for our Council and we look forward to reporting back to you at our Council meeting.
Bro. Jeremy Sit